The curse of the modern age is that life moves at a speed human beings were never meant to sustain over the long haul. And since media of all kinds tells us we must stay ahead of everything simultaneously, we end up hurting ourselves along the way.
A consistent diet of 24 hour news, the latest app, the newest TikTok video, Insagram, Snapp, Facebook or whatever else society has told us is important this very second comes in a never-ending deluge courtesy of our connected world and there is no way to stop it.
Or is there?
Look, there is nothing you are going to do to hide from it all. Buying an old school cell phone has become almost impossible as the salesperson will likely look at you with derision and disdain. You can’t go into the store and buy a small screen television anymore that is incapable of remaining constantly updating you an every conceivable place you can rent the latest blockbuster. Short of digging a bunker in your backyard and lining the walls with lead and concrete, you are pretty much stuck in the modern world.
So, what to do?
Try this. Go into a dark room, sit on the floor or a comfortable chair, and close your eyes. Keep them closed for as long as you can and try to let your mind do nothing. See how long you can do this without the overwhelming urge to check your phone, computer, etc. And do you know what happened while you were indulging in a little moment of peace? Nothing.
Likely nothing changed in the world in that short amount of time that you would have had an instant need to know. Most of what we force ourselves to get all wrapped around axle about is self-important nonsense. No need to know almost 80 percent of the stuff we are assaulted with on a daily basis and the other 20 percent could have likely waited.
Sitting in a dark room being absolutely quiet is a form of self-care. Did you know that for all of our technological advancements in the world, the human being is still the most advanced piece of machinery on the planet? Like every piece of machinery, we need some downtime too. We have to recharge and restock our resources.
About six months ago (maybe longer) I decided to try something I had never tried before. I went to a sensory deprivation chamber to float. Complete darkness, almost complete silence, floating in a pool of therapeutic salts. It is 90 minutes of quiet time and the most amazing thing happens when I do this.
I go to a place called OmFloat. It is located in Ashburn, VA and it is a 90 minute investment in myself. It is all me at that time and it allows me to clear my mind of all unnecessary nonsense while just focusing on the machine that is me. I listen to my heartbeat, my breathing, and the way my body seems to just disappear into the water as I can no longer tell where I begin, and the water starts.
When I leave, I enjoy a sense of peace for a while as all of the stress was literally washed away.
Maybe floating is not your thing, that’s fine. But I highly recommend it. I don’t think I am breaking any confidences by sharing with you the link below. If you live near Ashburn, VA. check them out. It is time well spent!
Until then, be at peace everyone!